Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Did I meet my challenge - Philly on $10 per day?

The last event I attended while I was in Philadelphia was the Odunde Festival, one of the largest community- based street festivals held in the country. Odunde is a celebration, which comes from the Yoruba tradition, and it celebrates the coming of the New Year. It was hot, both temperature wise and culturally. I recognized several traditional dances, which were celebratory and reflective.
Now, did I meet my challenge to see Philly on $10 per day? Well…
I was in Philly for 13 days and I spent $25 on public transportation. Now, I cheated a little because I used my sister’s trail pass for 2 days, which allowed unlimited travel throughout the city and the ‘burbs. However, I could have purchased my own weekly pass for $20.75.
Entrance fees to museums were $17; however, if I had gone to the Philadelphia Museum on Sunday, it would have been a love donation. I spent $106.27 on food, however, $54.60 of that was for travel prepared cheese steaks and tastykakes from Superfresh (they were on sale for $1.89 per family pack with a member card, Sharon’s). My daughters texted or called me everyday to remind me to bring them! I spent another $10 on donations. So, if I looked at my daily cost over 13 days, my average cost per day is $12.40 per day, still not bad!
If I delete the cost of the food that I brought home for my family then my average cost per day was $7.84.Of course, it would be hard for someone who did not know a city, or who was not public transportation savvy to be able to do as I did. I had free lodging and was taken to dinner several times and I walked a lot, partly to prove that I could walk! Walking helped my perspective and allowed me to see this beautiful city. I can help you see such a city on a budget.

People who have never had a Philly Cheese Steak do not understand all of the hoopla. Once bitten you are hooked. Ask my husband, who is from Birmingham, Alabama. He will go to Pagano’s before he goes to the place that he is staying! I have loaded a video about this Philly staple.

No comments: