Monday, July 21, 2008

Sarong Song


If I haven’t told you before, I helped to sponsor the inaugural annual Dream Achievers “Friend and Family Cruise”. It was too short, only 3 nights with an overnight stay in Nassau, Bahamas. The day prior to debarkation, Carnival’s Cruise Director asks that at least one member from every stateroom attend a program where he tells you what you need to do to make leaving the ship and getting back into the States easier. I attended this meeting and found out that adults 21 and older could bring in two bottles of liquors, one from the ship’s store and 1 from the Bahamas duty free. Now, this bit of information was important to me because this is how we restock our bar at home! Mr. Director also explains how many cigars are duty free (100 but cannot be from Cuba) and how much money you could spend without making a declaration ($800 per person). Lastly, he explains how non-carry on luggage should be tagged and that the number will correspond to when you will be called to leave the ship and visit our great Immigration officers. This was the most entertaining part of his talk because he says that someone, usually a man, will invariably forget to lay out what he is going to wear the next day. We laughed about this at dinner and talked about how silly my husband would look in my dress.
Well I am glad that I can laugh at myself because I forgot to lay out my outer clothing for the next day! What did I do? I did not panic. I just coolly and calmly pulled out two sarongs that I had brought with me for gifts and resell and had a colorful outfit! Once I got through customs I sashayed to our van in Port Canaveral’s parking lot and as discreetly as one can in a parking lot, changed into my clothing! I am glad that God has granted me the wisdom to be able to think my way out of a paper bag or in this matter a potentially embarrassing situation. Enjoy and laugh out loud, LOL!

No comments: