Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Can I do Philly at $10 per day?

I am on my way to Philadelphia, Pa in a couple of hours and would you believe that I am hoping to get two more loads of clothes washed and dried before I head out! I am not stressed (repeat this mantra as needed). I am also challenging myself to visit the city as a tourist, and I plan to do that on – get this - $10.00 per day! Now, I will have free food and lodging, (thanks Sharon), but I usually visit my old home in style. I usually have a luxury car and if I wanted to escape my children, I would just check in at the Embassy Suites. However, if I want to talk about how to vacation on a budget, I must know what I am talking about, so, I invite you to take this ride with me.
Philadelphia, the second largest city in the British Empire, was the original capital of the nation and it served in this capacity until 1800, while Washington, D.C. was being built. We have all learned that the city provided a backdrop to the creation and execution of the Revolutionary ideas that lead to the establishment of the United States of America. Philadelphia, which translated from the Greek means “City of Brotherly Love” also embraces “Sisterly Affection”, and is one of the most ethnically mixed US cities, with substantial communities of Italians, Irish, Eastern Europeans and Asians living side by side among the majority black population. Once known as “Filthydelphia”, the city underwent a remarkable resurgence preparing the nation’s bicentennial celebrations in 1976. There is a new energy in the city and history, strong cultural institutions, and a new influx of income due to the new downtown convention center fuel this. I will travel this city with new eyes. I won’t be driving to the city and parking in the lot adjacent to the Academy of Music as I go to see a play. I will get there by bus.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw come on this is your hometown! You should know where all the hook up are...or maybe it isn't like what it used to be when you lived up there...well just make sure you get your tasty cake and philly cheese cake. Oh yea visiting Independence Hall and the Afro-American Museum would be really interesting too. Mama just have a great time and I can't wait until you return...BRING US PHILLY CHEESE STEAKS BACK...if you can. :)

Anonymous said...

Aw come on this is your hometown! You should know where all the hook ups are...or maybe it isn't like what it used to be when you lived up there...well just make sure you get your tasty cake and philly cheese steak. Oh yea visiting Independence Hall and the Afro-American Museum would be really interesting too. Well just have a great time and I'm anxious of the other adventures that you will be sharing with me in the future!:)

Cheryl Robinson-Benion said...

Lady Sai, Yes it is my hometown, but I am really seeing it from a different perspective. I always came in and drove on the expressway and got on the drive and stayed in Mt. Airy or the 'burbs. Believe me, seeing the city on the bus or subway is like seeing it on tour. I will go to Pagano's and have them make cheesesteak for traveling! And Wal-Marts sells tasty kake by the case!

Anonymous said...

You sure enough know more than I'll ever know about Philadelphia but just keep staying in the $10 frame mind...Have you been doing well in that challenge?

Cheryl Robinson-Benion said...

If I had to stay within my challenge for the 14 days that I stay here, it would be very difficult. I would have to walk a lot more than I am and eating several times a day would not happen. As, it is, I only have to pay for 1 meal per day and don't have to pay for housing and so, I have been able to make do. I will talk about walking in the Fairmount Park later.